Welcome to Our Online Dispensary
We recommend only GMP (Good Manufacturing Products) premium, practitioner grade products. The Fullscript tab to the right will link you to our patient discount page where you will also see a list of our favorite products.
Fullscript is our online source for vitamins, supplements, and herbs:
- Free Shipping on orders over $50
- Access to Fullscript’s large inventory
- Our favorite products grouped into categories for you.
Our Top 5 Fertility Supplements if You are Over 35
In addition to your prenatal vitamin supplement….
1. Vitamin D, 5000 IUs, daily
• Supports healthy egg maturation
• Improves implantation rates
• Lowers risk of miscarriage
Recommended: D3 5000 by Metagenics
Vitamin D is important for fertility. Research shows that women who have higher vitamin D levels have a better chance of natural pregnancy. Several studies have linked normal vitamin D levels with higher IVF pregnancy rates and lower miscarriage rates.
It is important to take vitamin D while you are trying to conceive and continue once you are pregnant. Many women need more than the 600-1,000 IUs found in most prenatal vitamins. Getting your vitamin D levels checked is a great place to start. Many women find they benefit from taking 5,000 IUs daily.
2. CoQ10, 600 mg daily
• Supports the energy production that powers the egg
• Improves egg maturation and embryo quality
• Helps chromosomes to replicate normally
Recommended: Q-Evail by Designs For Health
CoQ10 is a naturally occurring antioxidant produced in the body, and it plays a crucial role in energy production inside our cells. This energy helps eggs to mature properly. Once fertilized, significant energy is needed to support the healthy growth of the embryo.
A lack of energy can lead to poor fertilization and early miscarriage.
CoQ10 supplementation for 60 days before IVF has been shown to improve embryo quality and ovarian response to stimulating drugs, along with better pregnancy outcomes.
3. Melatonin, 3 mg, at bedtime
• Antioxidant – prevents or slows damage to cells
• Supports better sleep
• Improves hormonal balance
• Increases quality of both eggs and embryos
Recommendation: Melatonin-SR by Pure Encapsulations
Melatonin is an antioxidant that can prevent or slow down damage to the cells. It regulates our 24-hour circadian rhythm, the body’s ‘built-in’ sleep/wake cycle. Many people take melatonin to help them sleep better at night. Melatonin helps to regulate the pituitary gland, which also regulates the production of reproductive hormones.
4. Inositol, 3g daily
• Regulates blood sugars
• Increases ovarian response to stimulation
• Improves quality of both eggs and embryos
• Treats PCOS
Recommended: Sensitol by Designs for Health
Inositols regulate insulin and blood sugar levels. Specifically, they help our bodies metabolize sugar by helping our cells use insulin better. Blood sugar issues are a leading cause of hormonal imbalance and can create havoc on one’s fertility. Studies have shown that inositol improves egg and embryo quality and can increase pregnancy rates.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids, 2000mg daily
- Regulating your hormones, which is important for ovulation
- Increasing blood flow to the uterus
- Reducing inflammation in the body
- Improving the ability of the embryo to implant in the uterus
Recommended: ProOmega 2000 by Nordic Naturals
There are different types of omega-3s, including DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which is found mainly in certain types of seafood. DHA is especially important when it comes to fertility health. A 2019 study looked at data from 900 women and found that women who took an omega-3 supplement were almost two times more likely to get pregnant on their own versus the women who didn’t take the supplement. We recommend ProOmega® 2000 which features a breakthrough omega-3 oil as a ultra-concentrated EPA+DHA in the highly absorbable, triglyceride molecular form.
There is also evidence that shows omega-3s are essential to sperm function as they help build the acrosome of the sperm. This is the covering over the sperm’s oval head and is what works to break down the outer layer of an egg cell for fertilization.
Our Pre-Conception Plan
Ideally it is best to schedule 3 – 6 months of acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbal remedies BEFORE conception, and if not, then as early in pregnancy as possible. Every woman has different needs, and there is NOT a “one-size-fits-all” diet and supplement approach for pre-conception, fertility and pregnancy.
For example, some people will need more time (up to 6 months or more) to correct imbalances in their bodies if they have been diagnosed with Hashimoto, endometriosis, or PCOS, so this is why we encourage you to consider:
- Thyroid assessment is important, as low thyroid hormone can prevent conception, cause miscarriage, and preterm labor.
- Determine if you are on the PCOS spectrum, and treat for it, not just to get pregnant, but because it’s a lifelong condition with risk factors.
- Assess toxic burden and detoxification function BEFORE pregnancy, so you can prevent hundreds of chemicals from feeding your growing baby. Toxic burden also interferes with conception, especially in “mature” couples.
- Determine if you methylate properly (cell division depends on it), which can be affected by certain genetic mutations called MTHFR.
- Ensure that all your macro and micronutrient requirements are met.
- Some women have high iron. If this is you, do not take it in your prenatal vitamin, as it may increase the risk of low birth weight, preterm birth, and maternal high blood pressure.
- Assess your blood sugar metabolism to prevent gestational diabetes.
- High blood pressure management and treatment is critical to prevent preeclampsia during pregnancy, especially if you have any history of HBP.
- Anxiety and depression can increase during, or after, pregnancy. Nutrition, supplements, and acupuncture can help these conditions
- Your nutrient needs change for you and your baby throughout pregnancy. Know how to alter your supplement protocol during different months and trimesters.
- Make sure you have adequate progesterone, in order to hold your pregnancy.
This is our area of specialization, we are ABORM board certified in Reproductive Acupuncture, we would love to help you with your growing family!
Please call us at 360-393-8302 to schedule an appointment.